Monday 26 November 2012

Digipak Designing.

FIRST DRAFT 


These are my first attempts at creating a digipak. They consist of a front cover, a tracklist and welcome note. I think for a first attempt they're pretty decent but the cover doesn't have enough information on it or an image of our artist which isn't conventional. We also decided that we'd have a solo artist and not a group since we can only hear one voice in the whole song which means it wouldn't look right or realistic on the finished piece.


My Final Digipak 

I think that my digipak is conventional of my genre which is mainstream R&B/Pop with elements of Dance. First of all because I have an image of my artist on the front cover which helps my audience build up a relationship with the artist and understand them more. It also helps the audience and potential fan base recognize the rising star so that when they go on to release future material, the established look will already be there.

Another thing that makes the whole digipak conventional of an R&B video is the colour-scheme of red and black which works in correlation with the "Roc Nation" logo that is known well for it's R&B artists and fan-base  The colours red and black contrast against each other connoting a feeling of empowerment and status which a lot of R&B stars go for as oppose to the stereo-typical mainstream Pop artist who usually goes for a feel good them. An example of this would be my own artist Rita Ora, who is arguably a cross-over artist yet has an image and presence that separates her from mainly "Pop" or mainly "Dance" artists, using colours and designs on her album package to establish her own, individual style.

For the welcome note of my digipak I decided to go for a stamp-like banner which reads "Fairy Tales", layered white and red to keep in theme with yet contrast the rest of the album design. The reason I thought this stamp was appropriate is because since we titled the album "Wonderland" - having connotations of something new, possibly desirable and completely different (in this case, the artists rise to fame) is because Fairy Tales very much ties in with the idea of a Wonderland and even goes broader and relates to our music video which is all about misreading and prejudging fairy-tales without looking at the small print (again relating back to the idea of chasing fame).

On the back of the digipak, the tracklist is wrote in a much more elegant and graceful font, just like the font that "Lost in" and "Nadine King" is written in on the front cover. In contrast to this, the majority of the writing on the welcome note and the text reading "Wonderland" consistently appears much bolder and dominant giving the whole album a dysfunctional and unique look. Once again, I made this decision to relate it back to my overall theme of having two sides to fame - the dreamy side that everyone see's which explains the stars faded in the background of my album cover and then the dark less glamorous side which answers for the cracks in the font on the word "Wonderland" which is featured on the welcome note.
Finally, we modeled the image of (me) the artist so that they were looking into the distance for it to appear as if I was looking into the distance onto bigger things, again communicating to our audience that the artist is new to the music industry and not yet established.

However, if I could change anything about the overall look of my digipak, I think it would be the iconography of the artist - dressing and styling her more conventional to the R&B/Pop genre would help carry the overall image of the album and encourage our target audience to buy into the image of our artist.


1 comment:

  1. This post demonstrates a good reflection on your digipak and the choices and decisions that you made to your production. You can considered the codes and conventions well and also the role of building a relationship with your audience.

    Within this post you also need to show evidence of the other drafts that you created too

    ReplyDelete